You may have been part of church campaigns previously where you were asked to give a second gift "above and beyond" your usual gifts to make special initiatives like new buildings and new ministries possible.
Normally, you gave that gifts to the "Building Fund" and you also continued to give offerings to the "General Fund." This type of giving is potentially confusing to people who either don't have a baseline for their "usual giving" or who aren't able to really celebrate the total giving they are engaging in at TRC in one single number.
We believe that it is all ONE MISSION that we're on - the mission to reach more people with the love of Jesus across the state of Maine and beyond. Therefore, it's going to be one fund to which we give our generosity at TRC.
The Unfinished initiative will last for two years. In those two years, every gift that is given to TRC will go to the three key components of Unfinished: Unfinished Ministry, Unfinished Building, and Unfinished Mission.
If we are committing to Unfinished, how does this change my giving to missions, the general fund, and other special offerings?
- During this two-year period, every contribution to God through TRC is a contribution to our Unfinished initiative. Every aspect of the ministry vision God is calling us towards for the next two years will be funded through Unfinished. There will not be separate funds. Every gift made will go into the same fund and will be our Unfinished giving. Therefore, every weekend becomes a day to celebrate and contribute toward what God is doing in us and through us to help move God's mission forward across Maine and beyond.
What are you asking me to do?
- First and foremost, we are asking that you pray and seek God's leading on what He is asking of you. Prepare your heart to hear Him, and then listen to what He says. Engage in a small group during this season, if you haven't already. Engage in personal reflection with God in this Unfinished booklet. Talk with your spouse, your family, or others about what this commitment will mean for this next exciting season of your life.
We are asking that you make a sacrificial commitment to gospel-motivated generosity – whatever it is that God leads you to do. Follow His leading.
Finally, we ask that you prepare to be amazed. It is an awesome God that we serve and He is going to move in huge ways and we anticipate an unprecedented impact from our collective Unfinished commitments – something only God can do. Please mark your calendar for Commitment Weekend, March 22nd and 25th, and prepare to experience a life-changing worship service that will forever be remembered as a defining moment for our church and for our own faith.
Are there additional ways besides cash that I can give more toward Unfinished?
- Be creative as you explore ways you and your family can give toward Unfinished. You might have some stocks, property, or other items of that nature. Or you may have some stored resources that God has blessed you with in the past that he just might be calling you to give out of during this time. Please let us know if you need assistance with facilitating gifts of property or stock, and we would be happy to help you with that. You can contact our church office to make a gift of this type.
How long is my commitment?
- We are asking that everyone make a two-year commitment, which is 24 months. The fulfillment period for your commitment will begin with our First Big Give in April of 2018, and it will culminate in April of 2020.
What if I don't have a job right now? What does that mean for my Unfinished commitment?
- Unfinished is about your total, radical, and sacrificial generosity to God's mission at TRC. We believe that God calls us to action in times of hardship just as much as He does in times of abundance, and that looks different for every person. But Unfinished is about a heart change – one that is only accomplished by surrendering our lives completely over to God in this area of giving and declaring that we are a people who are Unfinished. So that may mean that you are being challenged to sell things, to pick up odd jobs, or even to trust God in faith by making a commitment that you don't quite know how to fulfill right now but that you believe God will provide for as you seek for ways to sacrifice and work towards that commitment. We would like for 100% of us to be a part of Unfinished so that we can all be supporting, loving, encouraging, and praying for one another through this spiritually-stretching season at TRC.
What if I am in debt right now? Am I still supposed to give?
- If you are someone currently seeking to make payments to pay off debt right now, we commend you for making progress on that. And you should continue to do so. We would be happy to help you in this journey and/or to recommend a budgeting class that might minister to you. Being in debt does not, however, make someone "excused" from giving. Giving isn't about what God wants from you; rather, it's about what God wants for you. So it should be our joy and privilege to give at all times. Please contact us if you need assistance with this or if you would like to speak with a budgeting counselor, and we would be honored to help.
What if I have never given to TRC before?
- Unfinished was crafted specifically with you in mind. Unfinished is a "one fund" generosity initiative, meaning that it is different from a traditional capital campaign where you are called to give an extra gift above and beyond your normal giving - thus creating TWO STEPS for people who aren't yet giving. Unfinished is a call to sacrificial, gospel-motivated generosity for absolutely everyone at TRC. If you have never given before, this is your chance to get in the game with a committed sacrifice. We really hope you will.
What if I am new around here?
- Unfinished is about the vision for our church and our personal discipleship in giving as followers of Jesus. We believe that the local church is one of the most compelling missions to give toward, and we would really love for you to make TRC your home and join us in Unfinished. If you are ready for it, this is a perfect time for you to put a stake in the ground and make this your church. We need you on the team!
What if I haven't been baptized yet?
- Great question. People take different spiritual steps at different times. Some people begin praying before they begin attending church. Others begin going to a small group before they begin talking to God in prayer. Giving is another spiritual step, and it comes at different times for different people. One thing is for sure, however. Just like other spiritual disciplines, giving draws us closer to God. And God is calling ALL of us to give. (Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19) Whether you have taken the spiritual step of baptism or whether you haven't yet, we would encourage you to join us in this Unfinished initiative. We firmly believe it will draw you closer to God and hopefully to a place where you are ready to make the decision to become baptized and to surrender your life to the Lordship of Christ.
Didn't find the answer to your question here?
Fill out the form below and we'll be happy to reach out to you as soon as we can!
1195 Ohio Street, Bangor, ME 04401